Sunday, January 30, 2011

A day filled with Bikram Yoga: Esak Garcia gives a posture clinic

Yesterday I had the luxury of spending a whole day in the hot room. After a brutally hot class taught by Esak Garcia, he gave a posture clinic. We discussed general principles of hatha yoga, for example the breathing, and we also went through specific postures (pranayama breathing, standing head to knee, standing bow pulling, separate standing head to knee, cobra, and floor bow). I got a lot out of it and I am curious about how I will be able to integrate it into my practice.

A favorite from yesterday: a woman describes how she has trouble with a specific posture, Esak says: "Well, there is no reason why you should be good at this if you haven't practiced it for a long time!" Simple truth. I can only guess what a "long time" means though. Esak has been practicing for about 15 years, since he was 17 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment